Golf Course is open. No restrictions. All new bunkers and tees are now in play. Updated: 30th Mar 2023
Hockley is a private Members’ Club that was founded in 1914 as a 9-hole course and given as a silver wedding anniversary gift from Twyford Down land-owner Horace Trimmer to his wife Bessie, a keen golfer.
Various First World War military units were stationed in Winchester and officers were invited to become Honorary Members at ‘The Hockley’ by Bessie Trimmer. To this day, members still compete for 'The Tank Cup' - a Challenge Cup donated by the Tank Corps Battalion.
To meet the increased demand for golf, new holes were added between 1918 and 1920 making Hockley an 18-hole course. In 1920, the course was re-modelled and lengthened by the legendary five-time Open Champion and course designer James Braid.
When Horace Trimmer died, and his estate was put up for auction, there was a very real possibility that Hockley would be sold to housing developers. Fortunately, it was ‘rescued’ by two Winchester College dons and Hockley members, who had the means to outbid the developers. Maurice Platnauer became the Club Captain and Murray Hicks took control of the club’s running. Strong links were forged with the College and in 1955 Platnauer and Hicks gifted the property to Winchester College, who remain the club’s landlord to this day.